Thursday, September 17, 2009

Finally!

So after almost 4 weeks of living out of suitcases and sleeping on mattresses laid out on floors, I am finally into the new apartment! To celebrate, I went for a swim tonight. I met one of my neighbours on my way down. She was with her daughter, Michelle. Michelle didn’t say much to me then but was keen to stare as I lapped my way back and forth in the pool. I don’t blame her, it’s her country. I’m just swimming in it! There were some cute little frogs and lizards kicking it in the water with me, too!

I should also add that I am learning there can be many perks to having housemates (good ones, anyways!). Mine happen to come fully loaded with fun! Beth and Austin mean business when it comes to how we watch TV shows or movies. The projector is now set up, and watching anything on it is a dream. Like we’re in a movie theatre ALL the time and that movie theatre is in our “living room”. Not a bad deal.

As I walked to work this morning, I couldn’t help but think about how easy it is to be a foreigner and to live here. The people here continue to amaze me. Everyone is saying ‘hello’ and ‘good morning’ as best they can, while I try my luck at saying ‘ni hao’ from time to time! I should just say that if you are considering a visit to Asia, come to Taiwan! Unlike my experiences in Korea, people rarely gawk here. Everyone seems to be so incredibly welcoming and happy to see foreigners around.

No comments:

Post a Comment