Sunday, November 15, 2009

a lot of talkin'

I am proud to say (sort of), that this morning was the first morning since being in Taiwan that I was able to see the sunrise (I should point out that this was not done intentionally, nor was it because I was so incredibly ambitious and motivated to wake up at 6am to see such a sight!).

Despite feeling totally consumed while I dragged myself out of the taxi at 5am, it felt good knowing I wasn't alone and that it had been a pretty good evening. After a really great dinner and some more bowling (probably 2 rounds more than we should have been allowed to play), the three canucks and our Texan friend decided to go to the only familiar place in Hsinchu (sort of like 'Cheers', except not half as cool).

We drank and talked, but mostly talked. In the midst of all of this conversation, I was able to have a pretty solid chat about music with my friend, Tommy. We got talking about how each generation has had its' innovators-- each generation before us has had a new and refreshing approach to making music. There was always someone, some band, challenging what was popular or familiar; reinventing. So, how would our generation be remembered? What singular bands would define us? 10, 20, 30 years from now? We sort of left the conversation with a question mark at the end of it. What we ultimately concluded is that a lot of today's music is "recycled", or bi-products of the past. Maybe this is good? Bad? Maybe we're on to something? Who's to say, really.

I really just wanted to have a reason for putting this video/song/band on my blog. I am trying to substantiate my pop culture rants, somehow, with stories from my travels. Sneaky, I know.

One of the best Canadian bands around!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CE5rQd5D14&NR=1

No comments:

Post a Comment