Wednesday, November 18, 2009

some funny things...

I went out looking for boots tonight and some funny things happened before and after the actual shopping commenced. First, I know that in one of my posts from way, way back, I mentioned that garbage trucks in Hsinchu blare Beethoven from them as they drive through the streets. I have since found out that this is not to make the streets sound more "classy", or to make the duty of collecting garbage seem more luxurious. Nope, these trucks play this familiar song so that people can hear it from miles away and prepare their garbage for pick up. A pretty hilarious/ingenious concept in itself, right?

Well, tonight I got to witness a really great garbage truck moment (how often does one get to say this?). I was waiting outside of the store and I hear "the song". I see a scooter pull up swiftly to the curb beside me. I think "this woman (or man?) means business!". S/he hauls this oversized, clear bag of garbage off of their scooter and onto the road. The song is getting closer. The person goes away for a few seconds, and returns to JUST get the tail end (most important) part of the truck. The truck does not slow down, maybe it gets even faster around the corner? This person literally tries to throw the giant bag of  trash on the back of this speeding Beethoven-mobile, only to miss it... by a tiny bit. So close.. but yet so far! ha. They don't give up though, they keep chasing after the truck and picking up the bag with every miss! It takes a few more tries until the bag is safely in the back of the garbage truck. Success! Garbage disposal is not an easy task around here, but if you're looking for a challenge... wait to hear that Beethoven!

Shopping is over with. I found some boots and I am on my way home. I find a taxi and a young driver greets me as I hop in. I hand over the card that has my address on it. He looks at it, pulls his car off to the side of the road and calls somebody, apologizing to me and saying "wait". I say "okay!". It takes about 5 minutes for the guy to sort out where I live and even still, I don't feel like I've gotten myself into the most promising of situations, but adventures can be fun! He apologizes again and tries to explain to me that it is his first night on the job (of course it is!). I laugh as I try to piece together any recognizable fragments of the english language coming out of his mouth. He is trying so hard, it is actually pretty sweet! He tells me that I look young, and from this point I don't really care if we get lost-- I like this guy! We talk about English music because he has a sweet pop mix on. It's playing some of my favourites: Nelly, Akon, Gwen Stefani and Beyonce. Cab drivers are so funny here: "ohhh white girl... she must like shitty pop music! yeeeah, I'll put that mix on repeat!". The ride is entertaining as we try to teach each other some basic English/Chinese. He is much better at learning than I appear to be! At one point, he asks me "is this the right road?". Thankfully, I know the area a bit now and know that we are on the right track! We get there safely and I pay my $175NT. I tell him to 'have a good night!' and he happily repeats it after me with a big smile of satisfaction on his face.

... I love this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment